25.7.10

Channeling Venus Williams


Who knew gentile tennis could bring you to your knees? I should mention that until now my tennis experience has consisted of a module in High School gym class, catching the pros in action on TV every once in a while, and sporadic volleying with friends the last session of which occurred about three years ago. That all changed last weekend thanks to a recent racquet acquisition and, as you might have guessed, a new boyfriend.

Saturday morning started out with great promise. Shiny new equipment in hand, we went out to drill the basics of the games – swings, serves, and strategy. I think that it is fair to say that we provided a great deal of entertainment value for the surrounding neighborhood.

It was later that day when the trouble began. Apparently there is a certain level of conditioning involved in tennis and I do not yet have it. I found myself unable to lift all but the lightest of objects as my forearm violently protested. Two-handed drinking took on an entirely new meaning as every sip of water required a two-handed grip and nerves of steel as the glass wobbly lurched towards my mouth. Movement in general became slow and calculated. One would think that I had taken up some sort of full-body contact sport rather than something associated with country clubs and fashionable outfits.

All of which begs the question, how long does it take to get into tennis condition? Please, anyone. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment