8.2.11

Disappointing "cuisine"

One would think that a menu item temptingly named "Five Cheese Rigtoni" would include a discernable (if not generous) amount of actual CHEESE.  Alas, my lunch today appears to be a small pile of noodles, a dollop of red sauce, and a glob or two of whitish cheeselike substance.  I suspect, upon tasting it, that it is the dreaded "reduced fat cheese," which as any food lover knows was never meant to exist, much less melt in a pleasing way when heated.

I know that my expecations should be checked.  After all, it's a microwavable meal.  And worse, it's being marketed as - - brilliant oxymoron - - "lean cuisine". 

I submit that cuisine does not necessarily have to be fattening.  However, anything purporting to that elevated descriptor should not be the least little bit concerned with calorie counts.  Just call it "spa chow" if you're going to plop a half-sized portion of something vaguely trendy and wholly unsatisfying looking down on my microwavable plastic tray.

A tempting, delicious-sounding name might be enough to get the box from the freezer shelf to my grocery cart once.  But not a second time.  Frozen pot pies cost half as much and I find them far more satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. The Trickster has come across a recipe, entitled Blackened Venison Steaks, which promises to deliver us from your murky dilemma. However the venison steaks are in Sparta and the recipe is in Florida.

    ReplyDelete