20.1.10

Shocking confession...


Hello, my name is Sara. I went bowling last weekend. And I liked it.

While I deplore reinforcing stereotypes of the Midwest, in this case I'll make an exception. I'll start by saying I have not bowled since the mandatory high school gym segment. I went on a lark, with a girlfriend, because we couldn't think of anything more intriguing to do.

Here are the honest reasons it was totally awesome:

- Not sure what to wear? Trust me, whatever you've got on right this minute (up to and including pajama bottoms with fluffy bunnies on them) is perfectly acceptable at the bowling alley. No need to do your hair and makeup either!

- You can't beat bowling shoes when you're aiming for a cute, retro look. Just add jeans with the cuffs rolled up and a cute t-shirt.

- They play the coolest music. We heard about 15 songs that we have not listened to since our teenage years, intermixed with a surprising number of Lady GaGa songs.

- You don't have to be any good to have fun.

- After 10 pm, they turn on the atomic glow-in-the-dark lights. Super rockin'.

- Let's face it: There are not that many sports in which you can participate fully WHILE drinking beer. And they don't carry your favorite $4 a bottle import, so you can cheerfully drink pitchers of the cheap swill and save money!

Does my newfound weekend activity add glamour to my image? Unfortunately, no. But I have a feeling if I can convince enough of my girlfriends to join me, it might just be the next cool thing. (In my teensy corner of the world anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment