5.10.12

And I Feel Swine


Dear Friends and Readers, I realize that we who contribute to this blog have neglected our duty for the past year.  We have failed to bring you witty articles about pop culture, health and beauty trends, travel, and fine dining.  We have failed to provide the insightful social commentary and useful tips on apocalypse preparedness on which you had come to rely.  The only excuse I give, in my case, for this gross oversight is my brush with death last fall.  After fighting my way, heroically I might add, back from surgery and infection, I found myself in an appreciative fog unable to be truly snarky and thus unworthy of posting to this blog.  Today, my friends, this changes because over the past couple of weeks a news story has chilled me to my very core.  It is impossible for me to keep silent about the impending disaster that hangs over us all holding our world’s happiness and existence as we know it in a precarious balance.  I refer, of course, to:

 

BACON-OCALYSPE 2013!

Last week it hit the national news and for a moment my heart stopped beating.  Bacon Shortage!  No not that! Please by all that is holy, anything but that.  Why now? We just learned how to put it into ice cream.  Is it just bacon, or will I have to give up my pulled pork, carnitas, and sausage?  Will we be forced to stand in long lines for meager pork rations while privileged government leaders gorge themselves on BLT’s?  Or even worse, forced to eat bacon substitutes like turkey bacon, soy products or in the most desperate situations Soylent Bacon also known as long pig?  I rushed to my local grocery store and snatched up packages of Oscar Mayer and then scoured the internet for some glimmer of hope, a silver lining behind this, the darkest and ugliest of clouds. It turns out that this story originated with the press release from an obscure British trade organization, and although the drought experienced this past summer will affect the pork supply in the coming year, there is not a shortage of pork products looming on the horizon.  No this was just a crass marketing ploy to soften the economic blow of higher pork prices due to the higher cost of feed.  So there will still plenty of pork products available, but the price may be less palatable.   Then again, I always say that pig is proof that god loves us and can you really put a price tag on love?

2 comments:

  1. I'd just like to point out that "Bacon-acolypse" is nearly impossible to say. Really. Try it.

    Other than that, my only comment is a big sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you like the nod to REM in the title - its the end of the world as we know it - and I feel swine...also an allusion to my recovery after sickness..I am such a clever little monkey.

    ReplyDelete