23.3.10

Surviving the Apocalypse: What do You Bring to the Party?



As anyone who follows this blog knows, the apocalypse could occur at any moment. We here at Snarklet feel that being prepared is our best defense against impending doom. When the crap hits the fan, it is important that you bring some skills to the party. In the aftermath of a civilization destroying event, the fact that you can text 90 “words” per minute will not save your ass from marauding hordes of mutants, feed and hydrate your family, or help rebuild society and preserve human culture. You don't survive the apocalypse by collecting bottle caps. Think low tech skills like the ability to grow crops, hunt and cook food, make clothing, and defend others, because these skills will be difference between you gaining a place in the new world order or gaining a place on a roasting spit.



I myself can cook and knit, and more importantly I have friends and family. I know at least two black belts, two experienced construction workers (one with an engineering degree), two health care professionals, six avid gardeners, two people with access to lots of land/livestock, and someone who spins her own yarn. In fact, my friend Jane, the spinner, may just be the future of the human race. Jane can garden, cook, sew, knit and now, spin her own yarn. (We are expecting a loom to show up any day now.) She runs and bikes daily and is in phenomenal shape. We know she can kick all of our combined butts (with the possible exception of the black belts), and should any one of us become a threat to the new world order, she would not hesitate to take us down.



So take a look around at yourself, your family, and your friends. What do you bring to the apocalypse? How can you contribute to rebuilding society? Even my brother, the sweetest and gentlest man I know, possesses a talent for music and math that will allow us preserve those skill sets for the next generation. So the next time you start feeling really good about your McMansion in the suburbs, your fancy cars, your high powered corporate job, and your spoiled whiny 2.5 kids, ask yourself what you would bring to the Armageddon fiesta and who would you invite?

4 comments:

  1. I love this post so much it brought a wee tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking I need to up my low tech skills... perhaps making soap or candles from scratch - anyone want to start raising bees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can drive a tractor, and also have access to a tractor that will run on corn whiskey if need be. Since I garden, I may be able to raise a crop of two. My husband can smoke/roast anything on a spit, create charcoal, and make fire from two sticks of wood. I hope that in the event of an apocalypse that I can join the group of survivors you are forming. I'll even raise the bee's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See this is the kind of pioneer spirit we are going to need! I, for one, welcome you to the group with open arms!

    ReplyDelete