15.2.10

Et tu, Cupid?

Here, dear reader, is why I hate Valentine's Day. 

It is a totally commercialized holiday, fraught with expectation that has nothing to do with our actual desires.  (Or everything to do with them, but all rolled into one artificial day.)

It's a stupid insult to single folk everywhere who are somehow made to feel inadequate even though everyone pretty much universally dislikes the holiday, except restaurateurs, who can charge a ridiculous price for a mediocre bottle of champagne and a fixe menu. 

But it is certainly most insulting to otherwise happily married folk who would like to think that they are far beyond all petty show of romance, but who nonetheless find it stings incredibly to come up totally empty-handed on this most crass of days.

Aye. There's the rub.



Years ago I graciously let my husband off the hook for every holiday-related duty with the exception of the following three responsibilities: a card on my birthday, a card on my anniversary and a card on Valentine's Day.

Saying goodbye to gifts was not difficult.  Money is tight, and Valentine's Day is superficial.  I always hated the "office competition," where bouquet after overpriced bouquet of generic roses is delivered, each one providing a sort of stamp of approval for the recipient and leaving those with empty desks squirming.  (Only I didn't squirm.  I was fine opting out.) 

But - - and let this be a lesson to women everywhere - - where has this lowering of expectation gotten me?  Well, for the past several years, it has resulted in a need for constant reminders that such-and-such a date is approaching, and that a card is expected.  (Wow.  Romantic, huh?) 

And this year, despite (annoying) reminders earlier in the week, it netted me zip. 

We were quite busy this week and weekend, to be sure.  But I ask you: If he can manage 300-odd sales employees, create breathtaking excel spreadsheets, and handle his big boy calendar chock full of business travel... why can't he manage this one small thing? 

I can hear him grousing: "Why does it matter so much anyway?  It's a stupid card, and a stupid day." 

Why does it matter to me?  He's a great dad.  He's very loving, in the squeeze-my-rump-while-I'm-doing-the-dishes sort of way.  He sometimes takes out the garbage without being told.  He works hard and helps support us all.  He even volunteers the occassional ice cream run when I'm having a craving. 

That's a lovely list of attributes, and they add up to a guy I'm very grateful for.  But the sad truth is that there's nothing romantic in my life, unless you count those damn Sookie Stackhouse novels.  And I don't see a sexy, thousand-year-old vampire tapping on my window anytime soon.

And while I know my husband loves me a lot, he definitely doesn't say it enough, and not nearly in a flowery enough way.  So it seems crazy to me that, efficient fellow that he generally is, he doesn't take advantage of the fact that Hallmark has basically done all the hard stuff for him.  All he has to do is shell out the four bucks and read enough of the card to make sure it's not tastelessly humorous.

You know how guys feel about constantly being the only one to initiate sex?  That's how I feel about romance.  (You'd think he would see the obvious connection between those two things, but trust me, he doesn't.)  I hate that I've been reduced to the kind of romantic peer pressure that only a national holiday can inflict. 

And even that doesn't seem to be working.

4 comments:

  1. Here's what I think it is for me. . .I genuinely appreciate the loving word, flower, present or card on a random Tuesday. I'm so delighted when it happens that sex, favorite foods, and tlc are pretty much guaranteed. . .because I feel so noticed, appreciated and loved. It's such a big deal because no one, including me, told the man to do it. He CHOSE to. Valentine's Day is sort of the reverse. There is a giant screaming billboard wrapped around the planet for about 3 weeks before the day ordering the husband to "do something" for me on Feb 14th. When he does, I'm pleased, but really it's nothing like Random Tuesday joy. But, when he doesn't do anything for Valentine's day, interestingly, I'm pissed. And pissed in a way that I feel vaguely guitly about since, really, don't I actually, massively prefer Random Tuesday? So, I've been thinking about this all morning now. I think it boils down to this. . .it feels insulting when the entire planet is screaming at top volume to "do something for your wife/lady/main squeeze/favorite sex toy" and he doesn't. It feels like he CHOSE NOT TO. Which matters, because it's different than forgetting or simply not having it cross his mind. . .So, I'm then insulted over lack of acknolwedgement on a day that I realy don't give shit about and, in fact, that I will rant about ad nauseum if given half glass of wine and a single live being the room - human or animal. It's the same part of my brain that knows I should not care what the woman in the magazine looks like but despite my best internal arguments - some days I do. Cultural conditioning. I don't care who you are. Some days you just can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite frankly, I’m surprised that you are still sane considering the continued depth of my negligence toward you and your needs. Despite the fact that you tell me explicitly of your desire to be appreciated and recognized, I repeatedly fail to not only execute on, but simply understand this need.

    I know the discouragement of pouring myself into my work, not receiving a single ripple of praise or an appreciative comment in my professional life, yet I repeat this same mistake in my personal life. A much graver offensive since the person I am committing this against is my best friend, life partner, and the mother of my children.
    I love you the way you are and I’m deeply sorry that I have not expressed this more frequently, nor that I haven’t told you enough about my heartfelt appreciation for the love and support you provide for me. After reading your blog, it is obvious that I have failed in my ability to understand your point of view and see things from your angle.

    “I shall pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again” – Emerson

    I pledge to you now that I will strive to improve my awareness toward your needs – especially when you specifically tell me what they are. I will stop thinking so much about myself and begin to think more about you and more about us. For in this, I know I will find the greatest amount of joy and pleasure.

    I am honestly and sincerely appreciative for having you in my life. I understand that if I take the time to listen to you and understand your desires that I will never have to worry about what the future has in store for us.

    Your Loving Husband
    via remote location

    p.s. I'm sorry I forgot about Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See I read this post and these comments and I realize that one could assume that being alone and single makes February 14th less traumatic. Except it doesn't. I feel unappreciated every day. Talk about social pressure. I am an unmarried woman in my thirties. I have no children and no one person I can rely on when all others fail me. Don't get me wrong. My friends are awesome. My family is great. But they have their own lives and their own worries. My life is not their only concern. So yes I have my freedom. My time is my own. But I also have emptiness. So as complicated and frustrating as it can be to bind your life to someone else's, you have to know that it is so much better than having nothing at all. And judging by the comment posted before this, you have quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, comment to Sara's post - pretty much sounds exactly like my marriage. But I totally agree - why does it matter? In so many ways it shouldn't, and yet it does. You basically end up agrivated by two things - yourself for it mattering, and the hubby for F*&^ing up...

    Comment to Aaron's comment - I need you to talk to Dan. :)

    ReplyDelete